Reading Access 70
Registered 18-8-2007
Location Lost in Space
Status Offline
Post at 31-12-2007 11:19  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L

QUOTE:
Originally posted by kin at 21-12-2007 10:47
I was glad to learn that all over Asia (from south east asia, Japan, Hong Kong, and more), Tipping is not expected versus America where it's seems mandatory (even though by law it isn't).

Yes, but keep in mind that in many parts of Asia and Europe (HK, England) a 10% service charge is automatically calculated into the bill. Most Americans don't check the bill and just pay what's asked, so they don't realize they're also paying a service charge.

Tho I have heard that this odious custom has begun to appear in some US restaurants - can anyone confirm this?

kin, you say you tip immigration officials in certain SE Asian countries?! That's news to me. Try that in HK, Japan, or Korea and you would be arrested and strip searched.

孔子曰: 君子不羞于舔屄也
Jake (The Snake: King of 141)
Master Mongerer

UID 2553
Digest Posts 0
Credits 5607
Posts 3938
Karma 5594
Acceptance 259
Reading Access 80
Registered 20-7-2007
Status Offline
Post at 31-12-2007 13:33  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by lowdrider at 31/12/07 10:45
What if a shady business has someone (forger) write in the Tip amount and then the Total amount.
Would we the customer be obliged to pay that "forged" amount?

To be safe, I always fill in the space for 'Total Amount'. It also gives me a chance to round up the bill and leave a tip of around 5%.
But after reading this thread, maybe I shouldn't be doing that.      I know that on the few occasions that I've paid in cash
and left a tip, my wife always says  ... "too much".  In Vietnam, the credit card slips have no space for a tip so then I would sign the slip
and tip in cash. In poor countries like Vietnam, I think it's good to tip.  
hunter (Real Slim Slapper-Status: 九叔 .)
Fucking Legend

UID 2748
Digest Posts 0
Credits 16230
Posts 12435
Karma 16060
Acceptance 3408
Reading Access 100
Registered 5-8-2007
Location Pussy Paradise, Earth
Status Offline
Post at 31-12-2007 14:02  Profile P.M. 
Reply #20 lowdrider's post

That's why if dun intend to tip......strike out that additional column for tips.........but then like Jake said  always write the total amount u wish pay at the bottom of the box.

Retired from pussy arena….Uncle 9

kin
Nookie Newbie

UID 6100
Digest Posts 0
Credits 20
Posts 17
Karma 20
Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 20-12-2007
Status Offline
Post at 31-12-2007 21:58  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by Marsupial at 30-12-2007 19:19

Tho I have heard that this odious custom has begun to appear in some US restaurants - can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm that gratuity between average at 15% is automatically added in all the restaurants that I've hosted meals to over 8 people. Sometimes this number is 6 or can be as high as 12 depending on the restaurant. Which I've never really thought about because I seldom pay for bills for large parties while I travel (much thanks to my associates and hosts). Is there an automatic gratuity charge for large parties in Asia?

I've notice some extra charges sometimes when I go to restaurants in Asia but its true as you say. I ignore it. Maybe because my home state charges approximately 8% Tax on all sales (excluding tip).

QUOTE:
Originally posted by Marsupial at 30-12-2007 19:19

kin, you say you tip immigration officials in certain SE Asian countries?! That's news to me. Try that in HK, Japan, or Korea and you would be arrested and strip searched.

If I'm traveling alone, I wouldn't do this. I only took note of my associates who were locals in these countries and followed their lead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

While we're on the issue of tips. Here's another story.
I was on a trip to Vegas. From the airport, I was coming from a delayed flight so I took a cab to the hotel where I was supposed to have dinner (not where I was staying) to meet up with some associates. I leave my luggage at the bellhop desk and I'm in a rush. The bellhop starts mentioning that this was his last shift and he won't be here later on. I didn't catch on. Right when I was going to dash to dinner, he hints at it again mentioning it and saying that he's going to take good care of your luggage with slight hand motions (the money signal). I finally caught on and I was disgusted. I couldn't believe that this guy expected a tip for doing practically nothing.

I normally tip drivers, barbers, room service, restaurants, etc. But this was extreme.
To watch my luggage?!?!?
He did have the upper hand though. He was "watching" my luggage. More like extortion if you ask me.
After dinner, there was a new bellhop so I had to tip the new guy.

Heads up if you're traveling here or reminder to those who travel to Asia often and forget (like me) how tipping in America is.

[ Last edited by  kin at 31-12-2007 07:01 ]
eddielee
Lustful Lord

UID 4041
Digest Posts 0
Credits 571
Posts 337
Karma 570
Acceptance 22
Reading Access 40
Registered 28-10-2007
Status Offline
Post at 1-1-2008 00:28  Profile P.M. 
just encircle the number at the bottom if you're not tipping and are afraid someone could tack on something for you. though i've only personally heard of this done once in hk (after more than a decade here) and it was a strip bar, and the guy got his money back.
i tip generously if using corporate card, a bit less generously with my own money, but more generously in asia than in US or europe (where i tip at least 10%). so that's right, i tip 15% or more within asia. why? cause they work harder (or at least seem to). and dad was working class, so i'm never stingy with people who work for a living (compared to people like me who mostly talk and rely on luck). in manila, i stop my car to drop bills in striking workers' cans. so tipping for service seems to me the decent thing to do.
having said that, my wife belongs to a rich family. so 5% tips when she's around, if that.
kin
Nookie Newbie

UID 6100
Digest Posts 0
Credits 20
Posts 17
Karma 20
Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 20-12-2007
Status Offline
Post at 1-1-2008 08:12  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by eddielee at 31-12-2007 08:28
so that's right, i tip 15% or more within asia. why? cause they work harder (or at least seem to).

Which and countries and tip for what types of services?

I agree with you saying that they seem to work harder. After all, even fast food restaurants or quick stops clear the table after you leave.
Surely that takes more effort than elsewhere in the world. But do you tip them then?

I'm sure nobody leaves money at a Cafe de Coral after they finish eating, from what I've seen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you give your personal drivers or helpers a bonus/tip for a job well done just because they work harder than elsewhere?

What part of Asia are you talking about and as we discussed earlier about Japan waiters and waitresses, they run giving you back the money?

QUOTE:
Originally posted by eddielee at 31-12-2007 08:28
in manila, i stop my car to drop bills in striking workers' cans..

I would stop to do the same in America on occasion but in Manila?

Around the corner there are blind beggars with collectors and people selling goods through car windows to make a living.
How am I to choose striking 'working man' over those?

Would you tip tailors who work on your suit just because it seems better and faster than elsewhere or tip technicians who fix your electronics?

For me personally, I do not want to cause unwanted attention. I don't want people to know I'm American yet alone a 'generous' one.
It's bad enough that some sellers giving me a higher than usual price sometimes.

Just curious to where you draw the line when it comes to tipping?

If tipping is your form of philanthropy so be it
but if your advertising it to be common practice just because people work harder in a different part of the world, I can't agree with you there.

Everyone calculates there cost and greatly appreciate that you completed a transaction with them.
For the little shops that do some services. They covered cost and made a little extra. If they've never met you before. They made a new customer and hopefully you'll let more people know to give them business. They don't expect a tip and I'm very grateful for this type of business mentality.

Don't get me wrong, I tip in Asia depending on where and what type of service.

I just don't want it to be like the US where people factor tips as an expected income to see how they will pay there bills.
I like the concept that tips are a form of gratitude - an unexpected gift.
eddielee
Lustful Lord

UID 4041
Digest Posts 0
Credits 571
Posts 337
Karma 570
Acceptance 22
Reading Access 40
Registered 28-10-2007
Status Offline
Post at 2-1-2008 23:01  Profile P.M. 
reply to kin

oh i'm not saying people should act the way i do. i was just responding to the question.
i am aware i am being bigoted in favor of asians. but wtf, on average asians have been on the receiving end of some of the worst bigotry in the past couple of centuries, maybe in my small way i tip the scales back a bit? maybe it's all ego (mine), but i don't see how what i'm doing can be too harmful. anyway, i don't set out to hurt non-asians, i just tend to favor fellow asians a tiny bit.
i thought i made it clear in the phrase 'my dad was working class' that i act this way purely out of sentimental reasons, not because i've sat down and written up a well-thought-out philosophy for how to live my life and spend my money (let alone anyone else's).

reply to question on stoping in manila:
i'm from manila -- as stupid as it is and though i haven't lived there in over a decade, it's still where i'm most comfortable.
blind beggars and people selling goods through car windows are more likely to be tools of crim gangs than are union workers (i know the unions names and still know some of the leaders in manila). so for beggars i give them food if i have some in the car. i try to always have a bag of crackers at least -- though my wife always gets rid of it -- she's not as sentimental as i am.

replies to other questions: i tip at full-service restaurants. sometimes i drop coins in tip boxes of fast-food restaurants. if you're serious about tipping tailors, in places like manila i let them keep the change when i pay in cash. my regular tailor in hk gets a voucher to his favorite restaurant every christmas.
i don't tip electronic technicians because i have yet to meet a consumer electronic gadget i can't fix myself or with a little help, so i don't hire such technicians.

i see your point in your last par -- and maybe my generous tipping in asia may be contributing to the same thing happening here. so i may be doing more harm than good, and maybe deep down inside i just want to feel good about myself. though i hope not. thing is, i just think blue-collar workers aren't paid enough, and maybe there's some guilt at how lucky i've been, particularly compared to my dad, who worked 10 times harder than i do.

sure, a more responsible way to deal with the injustices i see might be to contribute to organizations more capable of dealing with them, but what about the here-and-now? when you're face-to-face with someone in need? when $100 would make his day and let him get nice flowers for his girlfriend whereas you wouldn't even notice if the same amount went missing from your wallet?

anyway, thanks for actually considering my views and typing well thought out and thought-provoking responses.

happy new year