Karma 905
Acceptance 3
Reading Access 40
Registered 6-4-2007
Location HK/KL
Status Offline
Post at 17-8-2007 21:38  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Poor sulasno. I know HK sales men and women of the 1980s used to be such asses with no respect whatsoever for their customers. In those days, Japanese and Western tourists were the big spenders, and the retail industry was booming. With the onset of the 1997 financial crises and the 2003 SARS epidemic, the tourist dollar (and yen) dried up and retailers had to improve their customer service or face bankruptcy.  Many big department stores like Daimaru and Matsuzakaya did in fact went bust. The retail industry didn't really recover until the last couple of years, mainly due to a flood of tourist dollars from China. The big spenders nowadays are the Mainlanders, and you'd seldom hear anyone calling someone else "Ah Chan" anymore.

You'd be surprised how HKers (in general) have changed for the better over the years

How did you manage to have a godson in just 2 years in HK?

[ Last edited by  beta at 17-8-2007 21:46 ]

"Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place." -- Billy Crystal
sulasno
Master Mongerer

UID 190
Digest Posts 0
Credits 6524
Posts 6414
Karma 6523
Acceptance 19
Reading Access 80
Registered 23-2-2007
Status Offline
Post at 17-8-2007 21:59  Profile P.M. 
Reply #22 beta's post

when I step into a restaurant, I feel as though I am in China, or at least Shenzhen

as for Bro Chan, regardless of the economic boom for China, Ah Chan is still Ah Chan

Except for those with outside exposure, you cannot expect the local Chinese in China to become refined overnight

remember the saying;
dressed in dragon clothes but still don't look like an emperor

no offence meant (afterall I am a Chinese) ; the Chinese in mainland (except those with external exposure) are still ignorant

I thought that I did mentioned that I am Hainanese
I can speak many Chinese dialects though

shall I relate my experiences when I first visited China back in 1984/5 ?

it was always cigarettes and liquor and depends alot on relationship

(PS for those not similar with the slang, "cigarettes and liquor" means relationship in Mandarin or Putong Hua)

I guess many here would appreciate you sharing your knowledge

sulasno
Master Mongerer

UID 190
Digest Posts 0
Credits 6524
Posts 6414
Karma 6523
Acceptance 19
Reading Access 80
Registered 23-2-2007
Status Offline
Post at 17-8-2007 22:02  Profile P.M. 
Reply #21 puffdaddy's post

and when are you going to change your avatar ???  

nemesis
Nookie Newbie

UID 812
Digest Posts 0
Credits 32
Posts 31
Karma 32
Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 29-3-2007
Location new zealand
Status Offline
Post at 17-8-2007 22:53  Profile P.M. 
To some of TrickyD7 and Jake's comments.
I am are "banana" I respect people rich or poor, male or female, and do not like to hagle/ negotiate prices , Because I grew up in a country that traditionally don't do it. And I am not a CHEAP SKATE.
I have being travelling to china for buying trips for 4 years now. What I notice about the people in china in general is that if you do not negotiate on a spoken offered price and paid the price they ask for, they look at you is an western idoit with too much money, that it is their duty to remove from you. In alot of places in China and even in Hong kong ( excluding sex141 ) the mark price of an item, it is normal to ask for a discount ( try the chinese department store YU HUA in hong kong for thier teapots , vase , etc).
So in this context if you know what is the normal amount to paid and the level of service they should provide they will respect you as having some brains ( this is the same in a weatern country, you respect a guy who knows his shit as long as he is not an arrogant asehole). But if you roll in and paid what ever they ask for, and take whatever they give, they are not going to respect you. You are just a western idiot that is school in an inferior western school system just like what their government told them and their parents.
sulasno
Master Mongerer

UID 190
Digest Posts 0
Credits 6524
Posts 6414
Karma 6523
Acceptance 19
Reading Access 80
Registered 23-2-2007
Status Offline
Post at 17-8-2007 23:25  Profile P.M. 
Reply #25 nemesis's post

the art of bargaining is something to be master

the Chinese likes to haggle even for a dollar

guess the Westerners do not understand what is face saving

TrickyD7
Lustful Lord

UID 97
Digest Posts 0
Credits 534
Posts 531
Karma 534
Acceptance 1
Reading Access 40
Registered 20-2-2007
Status Offline
Post at 18-8-2007 03:29  Profile P.M. 
Reply #19 beta's post

Beta do not slam what I said I was just conveying what the Girls told me!!  I treat all of us as equals I am sure the western men have as many assholes as the asian men.  I never generalize as I meet too many mainlanders and Hkers and other Asians in my business and believe me they are all fantastic folk!  Even the Service Providers most of them are elegant and cute and lovable.  Check out the Service providers in North America I would not touch the majority of them with a barge pole!! I appreciate and nurture the service these girls provide!
TrickyD7
Lustful Lord

UID 97
Digest Posts 0
Credits 534
Posts 531
Karma 534
Acceptance 1
Reading Access 40
Registered 20-2-2007
Status Offline
Post at 18-8-2007 03:49  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by sulasno at 17-8-2007 16:44
Allow me to add my 0.02

Lived in HK for about 3-4 years and observed the following;

HK people are divided into 3 classes; those living on HK Island, Kowloon and NT have different characteristics;

N ...

Sulasno the foreigners looks like they are taking advantage of the Thai Girls but I will say this and I have watched it for years!! The Thai girls definitely get the foreigners for what they are worth????  Most of these guys go home and send the money to the girls regularly till they cannot afford it because they are love struck!! Thai women believe me are great and know exactly what they are doing??  Many get the money and maintain 2 - 3 boyfriends in town or in other countries!! lets face it I know girls who work bank jobs and make Baht 7,000 to 10,000 per month.  They could make double that if they are good looking in a weekend.  I have one girl who works in the office and makes Baht 7,000 she is gorgeous and lovely but is frustrated with her wages as we both talk about this and everytime I go down we shack up together and I will pay her as much as 10,000 to 15,000 depending on the number of days I spend with her.  So please do not knock your women they are intelligent and doing what it takes to survive.  Normal living is expensive in Thailand and unless these women do this they would have a harrowing life.  I never consider the girls to be prostitutes as they do this to take care of their families not shoot up cocaine and stuff?  All the girls I go with are beautiful and lovely in Thailand and if it was not for the fact of them having 2 - 3 boyfriends quite easily I would marry one as they are a mans ultimate wife!

I love them dearly!  I will say recently I have been having such good sex in China mainland that I think my heart is with the Chinese girls now!!!  They are big performers!! Now if only I can learn the language................. I am a made man!!!
sulasno
Master Mongerer

UID 190
Digest Posts 0
Credits 6524
Posts 6414
Karma 6523
Acceptance 19
Reading Access 80
Registered 23-2-2007
Status Offline
Post at 18-8-2007 07:23  Profile P.M. 
Reply #28 TrickyD7's post

guess you do know the situation about some of the Thai girls  

beta
Lustful Lord

UID 935
Digest Posts 0
Credits 905
Posts 900
Karma 905
Acceptance 3
Reading Access 40
Registered 6-4-2007
Location HK/KL
Status Offline
Post at 18-8-2007 15:55  Profile P.M. 
Reply #23 sulasno's post

No wonder you were so keen on trying Hainanese Chicken Rice over here in HK

Funny how this thread went from sex to food

"Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place." -- Billy Crystal
sulasno
Master Mongerer

UID 190
Digest Posts 0
Credits 6524
Posts 6414
Karma 6523
Acceptance 19
Reading Access 80
Registered 23-2-2007
Status Offline
Post at 18-8-2007 16:46  Profile P.M. 
I also like bak kut tae

McHammer
Nookie Newbie

UID 2958
Digest Posts 0
Credits 8
Posts 8
Karma 8
Acceptance 0
Reading Access 10
Registered 21-8-2007
Status Offline
Post at 23-8-2007 01:15  Profile P.M. 
Just to chime in and add my 2 kuai..... In general if you are a nice person and are nice to people they will treat you accordingly.
I am a documentary photographer, been living in Mainland China for 5 years, shot material in some of the most remote villages in virtually every known province and met with a great number of people from both sides of the spectrum (rich and poor).
I can safely say it is all relative, I have met rude rich people and charming poor people and vice versa. In general Mainland men tend to be a little rough on the edges with women, but that can't be transformed into a blanket statement either. You have to witness S.Valentines in China, you'll see men that will do crazy things (in a good way) to impress women; something I haven't seen in many countries. Again, it is all very relative.
What is not though, is the fact that Chinese women are possibly the most beautiful women in the world, so many and so different from one an other depending whether you go north, south, east or west. From Harbin to Xi'an, to Wulumuqi and Kunming....and of course HK. Of all the places I have been (about 135 countries so far) the most striking women I have witnessed are in China, Brazil and Thailand

Btw, I completely agree with Tricky's comments. Interesting thread.