Reading Access 40
Registered 18-11-2010
Status Offline
Post at 6-12-2010 12:44  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
HK - City of Spinsters

http://thedarkside.hk/2010/12/03/city-of-spinsters/

City of spinsters

Single? Female? Hong Kong resident? Congratulations, you’re officially a spinster, or at least that’s what the government would have you believe.

The Immigration Department’s application for marriage registration blithely invokes the designation under its marital status section, where single women – unless divorced, widowed, subjected to a prior annulment ruling, or sanctified by a Chinese rite ceremony – are left with little option but to select the ol’ “spinster” box.

And what exactly is a Spinster? Merriam Webster characterises them as women that are unlikely to marry, while the Oxford definition describes spinsters as older women beyond the typical age of wedlock. Although both dictionaries go on to describe the term to mean “single woman,” the negative connotations remain palpable, particularly when compared to the male side of the form, which allows for the much more dignified “bachelor” option.

So why exactly would our semi-elected officials choose to disparage single women? A snide remark about the increasingly mature age of female brides perhaps? Another loss in their ongoing battle with the English language? We’re guessing it’s a bit of both. And if you disagree, chances are you’re just an angry spinster.

Recent Ratings
Mister   8-12-2010 15:41  Acceptance  +2   Misspelling of Spinner? ;D
atomic3d   6-12-2010 18:20  Karma  +1   Favorable
Wachovia68
Kinky King

UID 50735
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1422
Posts 843
Karma 1410
Acceptance 232
Reading Access 50
Registered 28-8-2010
Status Offline
Post at 7-12-2010 02:38  Profile P.M. 
I'm not a speaker of Mandarin but could this perhaps something that got lost in the translation from Chinese to English? As in the direct translation in Chinese for "spinster" does not carry the connotation that the word carries in English?
stage6
Lustful Lord

UID 55629
Digest Posts 0
Credits 594
Posts 352
Karma 590
Acceptance 79
Reading Access 40
Registered 18-11-2010
Status Offline
Post at 8-12-2010 11:54  Profile P.M. 
Reply #2 Wachovia68's post

yes, I definitely think it's one of those lost in translation issues. I would have to assume that the government is not purposely going out of their way to disparage single women in hong kong but it's an amusing article nonetheless particularly for us english speakers
snowblind00
Nookie Newbie

UID 89762
Digest Posts 0
Credits 4
Posts 23
Karma 4
Acceptance 3
Reading Access 10
Registered 15-5-2012
Status Offline
Post at 15-5-2012 14:50  Profile P.M. 
lol sucks to be a native Hong Kong chick . . . I know alot of Hong Kong guys end up marrying mainland chicks . . .
asurada00
Erotic Emperor

UID 59939
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2360
Posts 460
Karma 2338
Acceptance 433
Reading Access 60
Registered 2-2-2011
Status Offline
Post at 30-5-2012 00:22  Profile P.M. 
There is an increase of female Spinsters even though statistically there are more women than men because the living standards including human rights of female Chinese are increasing. They can now be found successful in businesses compared to before and that usually translates to an intolerant in marrying a man who is less successful than the woman. If woman were to marry before 30 in China, they are advised to lower their standards.

You're going to have to google a bit to find the source, because I read this article last year on the bbc.co.uk if i remember correctly, but it was an interesting read.

Actually I think I read it on an issue in HK Magazine. Hm..