Karma 180
Acceptance 55
Reading Access 20
Registered 3-7-2015
Status Offline
Post at 23-2-2017 10:38  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Fake WG - MyCard Scam

So added some WeChat “friends” who are supposedly students in HK who work as part-time masseuses.  I chatted back and forth with each “friend” where the chats were quite dry in substance.
Long story short, they’re offering massage services for $800/2hrs.  Sounded too good to be true, but the naive part of me wanted to play along, so after some consideration, I thought why not?  Nothing to lose – if she turned out to be an amateur, then only I only lose a little $ and time.

So I scheduled a session with the first chat who seemed to always be available.  She asked me to meet her outside a MTR exit.  When I arrived, I texted her to which she asked for my number so she could call me.  After giving her my number, she said her guy friend will call me instead and pick me up from the exit because she wanted to be safe, given this was our first encounter and all.  Guy calls me immediately, twice, to which I didn’t answer since I was sketched out a little (usually response times aren’t this good).

I blended in with the crowd outside the exit, so couldn’t be picked out so easily.  I noticed a teen boy with a school bag on his phone, looked as if he was expecting someone to pop out of the MTR exit – he could’ve been looking for me, but it was a red flag in my book already.  The girl then texted me and asked why I didn’t answer the call, blah blah blah.  I told her the arrangement was for her to pick me up, not him, otherwise I can find her myself if she gave me directions.  To this, she responded she would pick me up herself.  5 minutes later, no one came around.  Then I get a text asking if I see a 7-11.  And behold, there was one right outside the MTR exit.  She asked me to buy a MyCard before she arrived, to which I responded “I don’t need a phone card”; haha – my ignorance.  She then goes on to explain to me that it would be safer to pay by MyCard after services rendered.  She continued to text me, even a photo of a MyCard receipt, but at this point I began to walk away.

My pal went through the same scenario in a different location and it was the same guy who called him.  If mods allow it, the scammer’s number is 2090 9100.  Probably a prepaid.

Trick me once, shame on them.  But I’m not so naive after all.

Attachment: Your usergroup does not have permission to access attachments
Recent Ratings
jamsny78   10-10-2018 21:34  Acceptance  +1   Scammer also asked for Prepaid STEAM card in NYC.
Nycpunter   10-10-2018 12:31  Acceptance  +2   
Mister   26-2-2017 21:38  Acceptance  +3   Too much of this going around. I guess enough fall for it to make it worth their while. Thanks for first-person account
JackTheBat   23-2-2017 21:15  Acceptance  +10   Glad you didn't get scammed, good skills, and thx for reporting.
Flybydr   23-2-2017 16:38  Acceptance  +2   
batman108   23-2-2017 14:46  Acceptance  +4   We have that scam here too in nyc usa, be safe.
theworm   23-2-2017 10:57  Acceptance  +4   thx
Flybydr
Kinky King

UID 118707
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1347
Posts 135
Karma 1327
Acceptance 406
Reading Access 50
Registered 18-6-2014
Location HKNT
Status Offline
Post at 23-2-2017 16:38  Profile Site P.M. 
Reply #1 ggccheung's post

As someone who doesn't want to be in the same situation, what is MyCard? How does his scam work? - when I search it Google brings up Chinese options

Recent Ratings
wickedwickedsin   24-12-2018 16:15  Acceptance  +3   
JackTheBat   23-2-2017 21:15  Acceptance  +10   Sometimes the scam is an iTunes card, just a prepaid value card.
ggccheung
Musky Member

UID 131158
Digest Posts 0
Credits 183
Posts 30
Karma 180
Acceptance 55
Reading Access 20
Registered 3-7-2015
Status Offline
Post at 23-2-2017 16:54  Profile P.M. 

QUOTE:
Originally posted by Flybydr at 23-2-2017 16:38
As someone who doesn't want to be in the same situation, what is MyCard? How does his scam work? - when I search it Google brings up Chinese options

Pre-paid card for something.  Unsure what it can be used for.

Just know cash is king.

[ Last edited by  ggccheung at 23-2-2017 18:09 ]
UncleDad
Forum Moderator

UID 4583
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2003
Posts 1038
Karma 1883
Acceptance 2409
Reading Access 150
Registered 16-11-2007
Status Offline
Post at 23-2-2017 22:48  Profile Blog P.M. 
I've heard of this before too. But I've never understood the system.what the heck are they doing with thousands of dollars worth of iTunes? Surely there isn't that many apps/songs to buy. Haha

~UD
Petay_1283
Fucking Legend

UID 46298
Digest Posts 0
Credits 11574
Posts 3139
Karma 11375
Acceptance 3975
Reading Access 100
Registered 9-6-2010
Location Hong Kong
Status Offline
Post at 24-2-2017 11:21  Profile P.M. 
Reply #4 UncleDad's post

lol is there a way you can convert it into cash? just curious.

I have heard of similar things before, I once read a story were when one guy refused to pay the MyCard another number called him & seriously threatened him with violence.. a bit scary .. so be careful.

Recent Ratings
Freelancer   25-2-2017 19:53  Acceptance  +1   e.g., $50 iTunes card and sell it for $40.

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.'
UncleDad
Forum Moderator

UID 4583
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2003
Posts 1038
Karma 1883
Acceptance 2409
Reading Access 150
Registered 16-11-2007
Status Offline
Post at 24-2-2017 12:11  Profile Blog P.M. 
Reply #5 Petay_1283's post

Hrmmm.... Maybe the next time I'm in town I'll do a sting on my last day there. Try and see what all the fuss is about. Not like they can come after me, I'd be leaving and I'd be on a temporary 7-11 card. Lol

~UD

Recent Ratings
Phaychay   25-2-2017 23:22  Acceptance  +1   If you do, arrive early, check out who is waiting around playing with their phones, then msg them, you might be able to ...
ggccheung
Musky Member

UID 131158
Digest Posts 0
Credits 183
Posts 30
Karma 180
Acceptance 55
Reading Access 20
Registered 3-7-2015
Status Offline
Post at 25-2-2017 19:07  Profile P.M. 
I can only think of two ways for them to cheat.

a. MyCard - Ask for proof of purchase up front (e.g photo of the receipt with pin on it). They then cash in the pin immediately.  

b. Itunes - Ask for proof the itunes card (e.g. photo of card and receipt).  Then they go to 7-11 or where ever and ask for a replacement using your "proof of purchase".

Although I would love to figure out what they actually do with these cards.
Shinnok
Carnal Conqueror

UID 14459
Digest Posts 0
Credits 414
Posts 39
Karma 410
Acceptance 79
Reading Access 30
Registered 15-9-2008
Status Offline
Post at 9-10-2018 23:11  Profile P.M. 
Hi everyone,

I remember having come across either this post or a similar one on this forum quite some time ago.... So fortunately for me alarm bells started ringing loudly, when I found myself in this exact situation.

Anyways.... what happened was that I went on Tinder and found a pretty contact who had her LineID embedded in her profile pic. I added her and she contacted me the next day.

She was fairly friendly and claimed that she was from Taiwan. HKD 800 for 2h, or HKD 1600 overnight.... outcall. Looked like a very decent offer... but hey, what do they normally say? If its too good to be true, then it probably is.

As I am staying with relatives in Tai Po, New Territories I enquired about incall, to which she provided a building on Po Heung Street. I was not able to find the building and told her that I was near the 7 Eleven. There were a few shady characters standing there doing nothing.

She then asked for my mobile number as she wanted to call me, in case she could not find me. I reluctantly did. Then she said as it was my first time and for her security a friend of her will call me and confirm "a few things". She also asked for what colour I wore and I told her a black T-shirt, what a damn rookie mistake....  

All the line conversation was written in Chinese, which did not have the practical embedded in chat translate function as wechat does. So I had to paste it in google translate to understand what the heck she was on about, whilst pacing up and down the pavement like a restless tiger.

Some guy calls me and floods me in mandarin, I repeatedly told him that I did not speak mandarin and whether he could speak cantonese. He said he was from Taiwan and spoke little canto... In fact during the entire phone conversation he did not say a single word in Cantonese. Anyhow he tried to steer me towards seven eleven, and something about a MyPayCard or something similar, I should purchase for HKD 500. For everyones safety?!?

I had enough, and hung up and took off. The line lady then calls and asked where I was. By then I was already a few streets away, and not sure whether I was being followed or something. I told the lady I was no longer interested as this was way too complicated than we discussed. I hung up on her and blocked her.

Another callerless ID showed up, which I rejected.

A few minutes later I get a SMS message from XiaoFu followed by some numbers, threatening me and my family, if I did not pick up the phone. He said he had my mobile number and could track me down, thank god this is a unregistered pay as you go SIM. It did look like a pre-written template text, designed to scare you off into compensating them for the girls "lost" time.

He called one more time, which I rejected again.

I am pretty certain this is just psychological warfare. However, just to be on the safe side, I walked half an hour through various shopping malls and outside areas and used an unusual entrance to my building.

I hate scammers....

Thanks to you lot I smelled that there was something iffy going on.

Brothers, please continue reporting scams you encounter.

Stay safe bros.

Recent Ratings
wickedwickedsin   24-12-2018 16:25  Acceptance  +3   
zebrazebra   13-10-2018 16:53  Acceptance  +2   
MothToAFlame   12-10-2018 23:43  Acceptance  +5   Glad you realized the scam
HelloLadies   10-10-2018 09:54  Acceptance  +2   This is why disposable SIMs were invented :p
biglemoncoke
Musky Member

UID 174368
Digest Posts 0
Credits 163
Posts 21
Karma 162
Acceptance 18
Reading Access 20
Registered 16-1-2017
Status Offline
Post at 10-10-2018 13:30  Profile P.M. 
20909100 is a number called from SKYPE. User paid a low amount to make unlimited local call. So this kind of number cannot be trusted basically. There were some local news saying scammers would also asked the gentlemen to buy credits for some online games or to make deposit into bank account.

Anyway, play safe