Reading Access 20
Registered 12-4-2017
Status Offline
Post at 21-9-2018 12:16  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Good spa experience CWB but slight tip extortion at the end

Date: 17 September 2018
Time: 7pm – 10.15pm
Massage quality: 2/5 Reasonable veggie, found knots and worked them out but not particularly relaxing, girl stopped early, 41 mins into 45 minute massage, only continued to 45 mins on my request
Price: $462 for spa, food and drink, 45 minute massage, plus $50 in tips after extensive argument on the way out
Repeat: Can’t , ‘banned’ from the spa by the manager for tipping $50 on top of $462 bill rather than requested $150-$300.

I and a mate are regulars at Sunny Paradise but thought we’d check out Oriental Palm Spring Sauna, near Causeway Bay. Place somewhat smart but beginning to look a little run down in places, bamboo scaffolding in the lobby, hole in the ceiling above the entrance stairs etc (not in the same place as the scaffolding). But the changing rooms are smart and the changing staff are helpful, polite and good humoured. The spa is reasonable, very hot pool around 42 degrees and very cold pool at 9 degrees which flows into the sauna, a nice touch. Steam room fine, food and drinks in the spa were the standard meat balls in brown water but good fruit selection.

The chill out lounge is nice with electric reclining sofas, big screen TVs and a pretty decent menu of food and drink. It’s quiet and dark, with young-ish girls working in the chill out lounge. Masseuses younger and more attractive than Sunny Paradise but it seems primarily a veggie place.

Couple of attempts to upsell us from 45 to 90 minute massage, once in the lounge and once by the girl at the start of the massage, in interests of time/money I requested 45. Massage was slightly ‘poke and rub’, but she did a reasonable job of finding and working on knots. No massage by feet / girl standing on you which I kind of missed.

There was a digital clock in the room and I noticed it was 9.29 at the start, a few seconds later 9.30. Yet at 10.11 the room phone buzzed, girl answered and immediately stopped, saying ‘massage finish’. I said no, that’s 42 minutes, would you mind keeping on going? She understood and somewhat grumpily carried on until 45 mins.

Meet my mate back in the spa, shower, change and head to the cash desk. On the way back down to the lobby we see a sign on the edge of the counter saying ‘We recommend tips of $150-$300. In case of poor service, complaint may be made or tip not paid’. As it was facing up the stairs and at the far end of the counter, it would be difficult to see the sign on the way in. It isn’t on the posters advertising the price.

I said $50 was what I would be tipping since the massage was short albeit of reasonable quality. Cue big argument with the staff ‘$150 is the basic tip” “We don’t pay the girls so you have to tip at least $150” “It isn’t optional” etc etc, to which I calmly said I’m sorry, this isn’t a negotiation. I’m tipping $50. The cashier relented and wrote $50 on the bill, then the manager appeared and the whole argument began again. She said ‘if you weren’t happy with the massage you should have asked to change girl during the massage’, to which I say ‘I’m not unhappy, I’m just not tipping 36%’. She eventually said, ‘Fine, you pay $50 but you cannot come here again’. Seems crazy but whatever, we pay and leave.

So what was going on here? I don’t want to be tight but $50 tip for an ok quality veggie 45 minute massage seems reasonable to me – would you guys have tipped more? Do they do this to everyone? I don’t want to do a masseuse out of a fair reward but this feels like a semi-scam. In other comparable spas (Sunny P, Royal Sauna Spa) tips of $50-100 are seen as reasonable. Anyone had a similar experience to this?

Recent Ratings
batman108   22-9-2018 01:02  Karma  +2   awesome and thanks
Nycpunter   21-9-2018 23:26  Acceptance  +1   
mchk   21-9-2018 19:13  Acceptance  +6   $150 for a complete veggie??? That's rough IMO.
twelve98   21-9-2018 15:43  Acceptance  +1   It’s standard to tip at those places.
vincent14   21-9-2018 12:48  Acceptance  +1   Thanks! In ETST branch they ask for 400HKD minimum for a 90 minute massage. i didn't know you could choose to pay less.
HorndogJim
Musky Member

UID 189860
Digest Posts 0
Credits 145
Posts 12
Karma 143
Acceptance 35
Reading Access 20
Registered 12-4-2017
Status Offline
Post at 21-9-2018 15:20  Profile P.M. 
If you were getting extra services I would totally understand the charge, that’s fine. But this was just a veggie massage. Why would it be significantly less good value than other places for veggie? I guess it could be that you have to break through the ‘wall’ by going a few times and paying full whack for normal massage and then later you get the extra services justifying the $300 etc?
twelve98
Kinky King

UID 28772
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1461
Posts 222
Karma 1453
Acceptance 162
Reading Access 50
Registered 3-8-2009
Status Offline
Post at 21-9-2018 15:47  Profile P.M. 
OPS is a higher end sauna. They expect you to tip more...

Look at it from their POV... you argued over 3 mins of a massage and probably spent the absolute minimum....
zebra
Erotic Emperor

UID 109166
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2596
Posts 340
Karma 2502
Acceptance 1882
Reading Access 60
Registered 9-9-2013
Status Offline
Post at 21-9-2018 21:42  Profile P.M. 
Reply #1 HorndogJim's post

Let me get this straight.... you went to a high end spa, caused a scene because the masseuse stopped massaging you THREE MINUTES before the end of your appointment, then caused further scenes for refusing to pay the extra $100 (9 euros), got BANNED by the establishment (the first time I ever heard) and then you came here and bragged about it?
What’s the point of this post? If your point is to say you won’t go back anymore, it’s kind of superfluous, as you are already banned. If your point is to warn us, it also won’t work because what happened to you will never happen to us. We are people who make it our habit to pay our bills.

Recent Ratings
ohmicmic   24-9-2018 16:41  Acceptance  +1   Well said
Fantasy1234   21-9-2018 21:50  Karma  +3   Very well said.