Digest Posts 0
Credits 30819
Posts 2018
Karma 30455
Acceptance 7283
Reading Access 150
Registered 1-12-2010
Status Offline
Post at 13-2-2018 10:50  Profile Blog P.M. 
Font size: S M L
More info on Pattaya homicide suspect

There are conflicting reports on Jose Polanco, who allegedly murdered Benjamin Robb in Pattaya, a case you can read about on this subforum. I assume the presumption of innocence here as no verdict has been rendered. And justice in Thailand is...flexible.

However, this may be of interest:

http://mugshots.com/US-Counties/ ... olanco.6425188.html

In 1993, then a teenager, Polanco was convicted of homicide, manslaughter, and culpable negligence (assuming my reading of legal acronyms is correct). He received a nine-year jail sentence of which he served almost two years, then was released on parole (community supervision) for five years. If there's any other legal action against Polanco, I'm unaware of it. Nor do I know the details of the '93 case--I'm not in law enforcement or the legal business.

So the guy who stands accused of Robb's murder was previously convicted of murder. And these guys were getting stinking drunk in a Soi 6 bar.

Just (some of) the facts.

JtB

JackTheBat
Forum Moderator

UID 56406
Digest Posts 0
Credits 30819
Posts 2018
Karma 30455
Acceptance 7283
Reading Access 150
Registered 1-12-2010
Status Offline
Post at 13-2-2018 11:36  Profile Blog P.M. 
Just updated: it's hit the Australian press, Thai press will be next

news.com.au has updated its story with more details on Polanco's 1993 crimes:

UPDATED: The man charged over the death of an Aussie in Thailand had killed before when he was a teenager, it can be revealed.

Andrew Koubaridis@akoubaridis news.com.au
FEBRUARY 13, 2018
11:51AM
http://www.news.com.au/world/asi ... 9b6433e7640c9c8b666

THE man charged over the fatal assault of Australian tourist in a Thai red-light district had killed before.

Thai police have charged an American with manslaughter of Melbourne man Benjamin Robb, 42, who died after a ferocious beating last Friday.

Local media reports have named Jose Manuel Polanco Jr, 43, as Mr Robb’s attacker. He will appear in court within the next week.

Polanco was charged with murder in the second degree by North Miami Police in 1993. Court documents seen by news.com.au reveal Polanco, who was then a teenager, killed Michael Cooper after receiving $20 for looking at a problem with Mr Cooper’s car.

“[He] told detectives where he disposed of the murder weapon, which was not recovered, and where he disposed of his own bloody clothing, which was recovered,” the court documents stated.

He was initially sentenced to 12 years in jail but was released after two years behind bars when the charge was downgraded to manslaughter with a firearm. After he was released he spent five years on probation.

He was charged, but not convicted, of carrying a concealed weapon and grand theft auto.
jake.houston
Master Mongerer

UID 93098
Digest Posts 0
Credits 6884
Posts 610
Karma 6748
Acceptance 2715
Reading Access 80
Registered 21-7-2012
Location USA
Status Offline
Post at 13-2-2018 11:54  Profile P.M. 
Reply #2 JackTheBat's post

Not that long ago in the US he would not have been able to even obtain a passport as a convicted felon.

Now the only direct disqualifier is if you are convicted of international drug smuggling. I doubt that many people with that on their rap sheet care much about the formality of a passport anyway.

“I believe that sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, wholesome things that money can buy.”
― Steve Martin
JackTheBat
Forum Moderator

UID 56406
Digest Posts 0
Credits 30819
Posts 2018
Karma 30455
Acceptance 7283
Reading Access 150
Registered 1-12-2010
Status Offline
Post at 13-2-2018 12:32  Profile Blog P.M. 

QUOTE:
I doubt that many people with that on their rap sheet care much about the formality of a passport anyway

Perhaps, but he needed something to present at Thai immigration.

We don't know much about this guy, but the Aussie journos were able to find particulars about the case--it was covered in the Miami/Dade publications of that time.

We shall see. Meanwhile, I guess I no longer have to explain why I don't hang out in Thai bars, where the booze is fake, the tits may be fake, but sudden violence (though rare) can be real.

JtB