Reading Access 10
Registered 25-2-2017
Status Offline
Post at 26-2-2017 11:51  Profile P.M. 
Font size: S M L
Shopping tips for TST

Hi folks,

Will be in HK for the first time soon.
Glad i have found this forum to get prepared :-)

Beside from mogering around i planned to do some shopping.
What's a "must look at" tip you want to share?

Thanks in advance
Bobbsy
doghead (dog)
Erotic Emperor

UID 16705
Digest Posts 0
Credits 2985
Posts 2230
Karma 2893
Acceptance 1832
Reading Access 60
Registered 2-12-2008
Status Offline
Post at 26-2-2017 14:02  Profile P.M. 
Signs that say "Duty Free" are a scam because practically everything that is sold in HK is legally duty free except for tobacco. Expect to pay more than you should at these shops if you do not negotiate.

HK is not the shopping paradise of old lore...but there are still some things that are of better value in HK.

They are

1) Quality tailored dress shirts and suits. If they say they can make in 1 day, avoid as it takes a few fittings to make sure a suit fits properly.

2) Gold jewelry. If I am not mistaken gold jewelry is priced on the weight of the gold portion which tracks the official gold market rate as seen in any financial newspapers.

3) Dried Seafood / Chinese herbal medicine. These you will need someone to point out the quality shops as there are a lot of fakes out there.

4) Unique mobile phones sold at the Sincere Market in Mongkok.

5) Eating Japanese food, ie sushi, tempura, etc. The quality and pricing Japanese sushi in HK ranks almost as good as in Japan. It is that good. Even at a place like Genki with its sushi on the conveyor belt, HK$400 for 2 people gets very good sushi. The higher price stand alone places are just a little bit better.

That is all I go for when I go to HK these days.

Recent Ratings
flappo84   10-3-2017 09:31  Acceptance  +2   Good points!
lazard
Carnal Conqueror

UID 81205
Digest Posts 0
Credits 222
Posts 70
Karma 219
Acceptance 50
Reading Access 30
Registered 22-12-2011
Status Offline
Post at 1-3-2017 05:47  Profile P.M. 
Definitely bespoke suits and shirts
acerbe
Kinky King

UID 40674
Digest Posts 0
Credits 1422
Posts 410
Karma 1402
Acceptance 394
Reading Access 50
Registered 2-3-2010
Status Offline
Post at 9-3-2017 14:00  Profile P.M. 
Tourists love to get local souvenirs for some reason, so Stanley market is the place for stuff you'll buy to put around the house but never use.